DEBAT || Belgian money for Israeli Weapons?
Open discussion with Palestine solidarity activists from across Europe
How is Belgium complicit in the Israeli occupation? What kind of military relations does the Belgian government have with Israeli military and weapon industry? How our taxpayers' money is being used to support human rights violations by Israel?
As a part of the Israeli Apartheid Week, Intal Globalise Solidarity invites you to an event discussing Belgian complicity in Israel's war crimes against the Palestinian people. The Israeli Apartheid week is an international series of events that seek to raise awareness about Israel’s apartheid regime over the Palestinian people and build support for the growing Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.
We will discuss presence of Israel's biggest arms company – Elbit - in Belgium and the impact this presence has on the Palestinian people.
From 2003, OIP Sensor Systems, located in Oudenaarde, is wholly owned by Elbit. As a key company in the Israeli arms industry, the presence of Elbit’s factories in Belgium should not go unchallenged, its components produced in Belgium are used in attacks on the Palestinian people.
OIP Sensor Systems is currently seeking a major contract to provide the navies of Belgium and the Netherlands with mine warfare vessels, using the slogan “buy Belgian.” The vessels which OIP is offering would include the Elbit-manufactured Seagull system
At this event you will have an opportunity to meet, discuss with and learn from the experience of activists from across Europe who are involved in organising campaigns and direct actions challenging their countries' military relations with Israel.
This event will be a starting point for re-launching the Belgian campaign for a military embargo on Israel.
- DAVID CRONIN is a journalist and an associate editor of The Electronic Intifada, a website focused on Palestine. His books include ‘Balfour’s Shadow: A Century of British Support for Zionism and Israel’ and ‘Europe’s Alliance with Israel: Aiding the Occupation’.
- EWA JASIEWICZ is an activist in the Palestine solidarity movements since 2002. She was part of the International Solidarity Movement and a coordinator of the Free Gaza Movement that sent siege-breaking boats and flotillas to Gaza. She was a medical rescue volunteer with ambulances during the Israeli attack on Gaza in 2008/9. In the UK, she is part of London Palestine Action and helped organise the hugely successful roof top occupation and shutdown of Elbit's Shenstone drone engine factory during Israel's 2014 war on Gaza as well as other BDS actions. In Poland, she co-founded the Polish Campaign of Solidarity with Palestine and wrote 'Raze Gaza' which was nominated for the Beata Pawlak award for international literature.
- JEAN GUY GREILSAMER is an activist and campaigner from BDS France.
- Datum: 21 maart 2019
- Plaats: Intal, Haachtsesteenweg 53, Brussel
- Uur: 18u00
- Meer info
- Organisatie: Intal ism ECCP – European Coordination of Committees and Associations for Palestine